Saturday, March 10, 2007

Maine-Ghana Youth Network

As you have read in this blog, Jessie has been a great resource and has knowledge of the organizations working in his area. At his recommendation, we visited a culture group that he was familiar with.





With this group, I found an American woman, Erin from Maine. She informed me the name of the group is the Maine-Ghana Youth Network (
http://www.maineghanayouth.org/)

While shopping at the Center for National Culture, Jessie and I decided to make a gift to the group. We stopped at the Best Way Drums Shop and spoke to Ras Tofic. It was the first time I have seen Jessie bargain hard and he secured a magnificent djembe drum for $38. It was so beautiful I wanted to bring it home for myself! Now that I have seen similar drums for over $200 on eBay, I know what a prize this drum is.



We gave it to the group and asked them to sometimes use it to tell stories promoting AIDS prevention and reminding the children of their ABC's. Across Africa, the ABC's of AIDS prevention are taught: A=Abstinence B=Be faithful C=Condomize

Unfortunately, funding from the US government is limited only to groups that do not teach C.

The following video and photos are from a dance practice one afternoon at the youth center. The man sitting in the far corner is using the new drum purchased with funds donated to the TransCAP foundation.





1 Comments:

Anonymous Katy Ayi said...

That is quite a blog. What job were you doing in Africa?

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home