Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Why am I going to Africa?

Oddly, I get asked this a lot. Hahaha! Not only from my friends in the USA, but also from people in Africa. A lot of the perplexity stems from misconceptions on both sides. In the USA, the media focuses on the negative aspects, such as violence, poverty and disease. Sure these things exist in Africa, but there is much more than that. In Africa, people think that everyone in America has more money than they need and live in large luxurious homes that are owned outright. Sure these things exist in America, but there is much more than that.

I always say that I have 57 good reasons to make this move. So, while there may not really be that many reasons if I list them all, there are many things that are all compelling me to do this.

Some reasons are about wanting to help. My adult life has been blessedly free of any real hardships. I have seen first-hand how much just a small change in thinking or in finances can have an enormous impact in a developing country. The volunteer work I have performed is small, but I know the schools and clinics have benefited greatly just from small contributions. I have seen first-hand the difference I have helped make in peoples lives. I know that the things I have delivered have saved lives.

There are disadvantaged schools and suffering people in the USA too, you say. Yes, I am not new to volunteerism. The level of gratitude is entirely different. Just one pencil given to a child unleashes huge joy. I know. I have handed out hundreds of pencils at many schools, and the reaction is always the same.

Life is strong in Africa. Every person you pass, you greet. Everyone on the bus is sharing stories or sharing food. Strangers look you in the eye and speak audibly - and you speak back with a smile. I cannot tell you how many times, just since I returned, that I have greeted a person while walking and received no reply. I cannot walk 15 paces in the neighborhood where I stay in Ghana without hearing someone yell out "Steve-o!"

In Africa, you are never alone. There are always people everywhere. There is music and laughter and children everywhere. When you need help, strangers gladly assist. When you are sick, there is always someone with you. If people have not seen you in a couple days, they will stop at your door to check. People depend on each other every day. It is an interdependent lifestyle, as opposed to the independent lifestyle of the West.

I hope to make myself a better person in this environment. After 13 years of working at home, I have lost some of the little social skills that I had. In Africa, being social is a requirement of every waking moment of the day. There are many useful skills I can learn about socializing, negotiating, leading, and sharing.

There is soooo much to learn, and that excites me. Yes, I confess, part of this adventure is undoubtedly a mid-life crisis. I know that a certain amount of physical stamina is required for this, and I am not getting any younger. Someday I would have deep regrets if I were not to do this.

To give up my comfortable, complacent life will make me appreciate what I have. I know I will return more educated about my place in this world and my responsibility to it. To live for some months in a new culture and a strange environment will wake up my brain again. I know I will return wiser.

A saying I once heard has been in my mind a lot lately: The more you know, the more you owe. I have seen a lot in this world, and feel I have a big debt. I am blessed with the opportunity and the time in life to give back. I do not know of any better way to guarantee that what I am giving is going directly into the hands and heads of people in need.

I will admit, too, that some of my reasons are selfish. As an older, educated, white, male, I am treated very well in Africa. In Africa, education is respected, age is respected, and a white living among blacks is respected. I feel like I am leading a privileged life. In the USA, I feel I'm just another old white man destined for a warehouse when I cannot take care of myself. Part of this trip is an on-site inspection of a possible retirement home.

While I'm getting personal, let me talk about my food allergies too. There is something in our food supply that causes me great difficulty. I have worked with doctors and nutritionists unsuccessfully to alleviate this problem. When I am in Ghana, I have no problems with the food - other than the pepper being too hot sometimes! It is a welcome relief!

OK, maybe these are not really 57 reasons, but it is a lot to contemplate. And believe me, there are just as many reasons not to be doing this! My health. The weather. Giving up my great job and comforts. The huge expense (Ghana has become one of the most expensive places in Africa). I will always be an outsider. I will always be a target. I will never know the languages.

OK, I better stop before I talk myself out of it! NOT A CHANCE! I CANNOT WAIT TO GET TO GHANA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home